It was a fabulous visit and I'm grateful to Jim & Joann for living there so I could experience China. I really had no desire to visit beforehand but now would go back to visit again. I'm not sure I would want to live there, but as Joann says, "you can do anything for a year". Thanks for the GREAT visit Jim and Jo.
Thursday, March 12, 2009
Beth's Perspective!
By Beth Arneberg, sister of Joann
When Joann asked me to write something for her blog, I wondered how you could condense 10 days in China into one little paragraph. I don't think you can but I do think a phrase that Joann stated often does capture what China is all about. When asking about this and that, she just kept saying "It's China!" As I discovered over the 10 days we were there, that phrase answered a lot of questions. Questions that probably didn't have an answer that made any sense. Questions such as: Where's that smell coming from? Why is there a sightseeing tunnel under the river in Shanghai? Why is it hazy? Why do the drivers drive like madmen and the bikes not stay in their lane? Why do the babies have slits in their snowsuits? Why do they put snakes and scorpions on a stick and eat them? Why do they have squatter toilets everywhere (and no soap!)? Why is there a FAKE Great Wall in Nanjing? Why don't they heat their homes and businesses?
It was a fabulous visit and I'm grateful to Jim & Joann for living there so I could experience China. I really had no desire to visit beforehand but now would go back to visit again. I'm not sure I would want to live there, but as Joann says, "you can do anything for a year". Thanks for the GREAT visit Jim and Jo.
It was a fabulous visit and I'm grateful to Jim & Joann for living there so I could experience China. I really had no desire to visit beforehand but now would go back to visit again. I'm not sure I would want to live there, but as Joann says, "you can do anything for a year". Thanks for the GREAT visit Jim and Jo.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment