Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Culture Learning in a Taxi!

By Joann
On a rainy Sat., Jim went to work with the van and we decided to meet up later at IKEA (on opening weekend...see previous posting). I took a taxi from home and on the way, my taxi driver drove through a puddle at high speed and sent a wave of water over 2 elderly men! Unfortunately for the driver, he came to a stoplight and the 2 men quickly approached and blocked the taxi with their bodies and they were MAD! The driver turned off the car and got out and the 3 of them argued up and down for a good 10 minutes. I sat in the back, wondering if I should get out and find another cab. First, I took some photos, then the driver looked at me and I signaled that I wanted to get going. He reached into the car and pulled out a handful of cash and gave each of the men some money. We all went on our way. The driver laughed (giggled, really) and chattered to me in Chinese the rest of the way to IKEA.

1 comment:

Paul Friesen said...

Hi Chinaarnebergs

It looks like your settling in and having a great time. I love your picures and your blogs.

Paul and Carol in Austin